Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Wrongness…


Ever noticed once men are married, they become wrong? I mean, it seems like every decision relating to the family, finances, and general home life somehow becomes incorrect. It’s like at a genetic level, once we say “I do”, something changes. The genes that used to guide our decision making process are somehow mutated. Don’t get me wrong (<-- see), I am not saying that I think I am right, and that my wife makes me feel wrong. I am not trying to be sarcastic. This is not a tongue-in-cheek commentary on how men are right and women are naggy. I am saying that we, as men, actually and truthfully seem to lose the ability to make correct decisions once we tie the knot.

I think I know why. My wife is just smarter than I am. I think that is really the bottom line. I bet most men marry women that are their intellectual superiors. I know I did. That is why, when we come along with our half baked schemes, like “Honey, I think we need that 52 inch plasma TV,” or "Sweetie, why don't we buy that extremely expensive house/boat/car/insert item here?", our wives come back with that “hrmmm…” response. The wheels in their heads are turning. I am sure they are wondering what we have been drinking, or if we dropped something heavy on our heads while we were out in the garage. They probably seriously wonder what they were thinking when they agreed to marry us, and if we will ever, ever, ever figure out why the kids needing orthodontia, or the house needing repairs is more important that big TV.

You know come to think of it, I think I have this all wrong (typical). I think it’s not that we lose the ability to make good decisions. I think it’s that we finally have someone in our lives who knows that our decisions are bad ones. We sure don’t see it, and our buddies are probably no smarter than we are, so they certainly don’t see it. Then, once we get married, we have someone to check our stupidity. God knew what he was talking about when he said "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."(Genesis 2:17-19 ). See, even God is being euphemistic here (probably for our benefit as men). I think the “helper suitable for him” part roughly translates into “helper to keep him from killing himself in some kind of ridiculous accident, or starving to death because he has no resources because he bought the expensive item…” Food for thought. As always, I could be wrong...

Proverbs 18:22 (NIV)
22 He who finds a wife finds what is good
and receives favor from the LORD.

2 comments:

Holly (me.) said...

I think someone might be mistakenly accepting the media falsehood that men are all fools. That's not true, it's just more feminist/P.C. fall-out.

dabshire4 said...

It's a what with the who now?